Zerocat’s Coreboot Machines  v0.10.0
How to create Zerocat’s Coreboot Machines like the ZC-X230 and others...
Build the Coreboot ROM Image (ThinkPad T400)

Main Page | Related Pages | List of Files

Todo:
This file lists essential steps for reference only and should be thoroughly reviewed. Please use the toolchain scripts instead. See Toolchain.

Prepare

See Coreboot Build How-To:

https://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO

Basically:

$ git clone https://review.coreboot.org/coreboot
$ cd coreboot
$ git checkout 4.8.1
$ git submodule update --init --checkout
$ make crossgcc-i386

Coreboot Configuration

$ make menuconfig

Use default values, but additionally select/deselect as specified:

• Mainboard
    • Mainboard vendor (Lenovo) —>
    • Mainboard model (ThinkPad T400) —>
    • ROM chip size (8192 KB (8 MB)) —>

Note
      Select the appropriate ROM chip size of your X200 model (4, 8, 16MB) and substract 0x3000 to get the correct size of region BIOS, or like it is called here: “Size of CBFS filesystem in ROM”.
    • (0x7fd000) Size of CBFS filesystem in ROM

Note
      The original size of flash region 1 (BIOS) is 0x200000, but we are going to use a libreboot-modified descriptor which deletes region 2 (IME-Firmware) and increases region 1.
  • General Setup
    • [*] Use CMOS for configuration values
  • Chipset
    • Include CPU microcode in CBFS (Generate from tree) —>

Note
      Include CPU microcode in order to avoid occasional freezes which otherwise might occur with VMX and video usage. Note that we are not d'accord with any proprietary license status of that blob or its sources, but machines that occasionally hang without warning is not an option, either.
      Todo:
      This applies for the X200, but how about the T400??
  • Devices
    • Graphics initialization (Use native graphics init) —>
    • Display —>
      • Framebuffer mode (Linear "high-resolution" framebuffer) —>
  • Console
    • [ ] Serial port console output

Warning
      Keep serial port clean upon boot. It might otherwise interfere with attached devices, the Zerocat Chipflasher for instance.
  • Payload
    • Add a payload (An ELF executable payload) —>
    • "(payload.elf)" Payload path and filename

Note
      File payload.elf should match your previously built executable GRUB payload file for platform i386-coreboot. See GRUB How-To.
    • Secondary Payloads —>
      • Select: Load coreinfo as a secondary payload
      • Select: Load nvramcui as a secondary payload
Note
The .config file may contain your paths which you probably don't want to share with others.

Compile

When you have exit the menuconfig tool, type:

$ make

This will provide the coreboot.rom in folder build/.

Add Custom Files

Add Zerocat’s GRUB Configuration File

Use coreboot’s cbfstool to add the custom configuration file as etc/zerocat.cfg:

$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add -t raw -n etc/zerocat.cfg -f your/path/to/grub@2.02_zerocat.cfg
$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom print

See grub@2.02_zerocat.cfg for reference. Before using it, please edit the file and adjust your keyboard layout which is currently pre-set via keymap.

Secondary Payloads

NVRAMCUI and Coreinfo

Secondary payloads nvramcui and coreinfo should be accompanied with an informative message about occasional freezes, what can be achieved with GRUB, but not with SeaBIOS. Therefor, let’s move them out of the SeaBIOS img/ search path:

$ for i in coreinfo nvramcui; \
  do \
    build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom extract -m x86 -n img/$i -f $i.extracted \
      && build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom remove -n img/$i \
      && build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add-payload -c lzma -n $i -f $i.extracted \
      && rm $i.extracted;
  done;
Note
When invoking coreinfo fromout the GRUB Boot Menu, please get prepared for occasional freezes due to CPU exceptions and faults. See Coreinfo CPU Exceptions.
When invoking nvramcui fromout the GRUB Boot Menu, switch your RF Kill Switch off! Active bluetooth devices might freeze the application.
Hmm..., and secondary payloads nvramcui and coreinfo seem to freeze in case a fingerprint sensor is part of the system, so please unplug that sensor.

Add SeaBIOS Payload

Zerocat’s GRUB Configuration File already comes with a menu entry to chainload the SeaBIOS payload. Add files to the coreboot.rom as required:

$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add -t raw -n config-seabios -f your/path/to/seabios/.config
$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add -t raw -n vgaroms/vgabios.bin -f your/path/to/seabios/out/vgabios.bin
$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add-payload -n seabios.elf -f your/path/to/seabios/out/bios.bin.elf

Please read section “Adding SeaBIOS Payload” of the GRUB How-To for more information.

Add Background Image

Zerocat’s GRUB Configuration File has already been prepared to make use of a background image, if available. Just add your image like so:

$ build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add -n background.png -t raw -f your/path/to/background.png

See Zerocat’s background images for reference:

Note that a T400 sometimes comes with extended screen resolution 1440x900px, hence the extra image.

You may add up to three more images named background_1.png, background_2.png and background_3.png. This feature provides space for additional information, such as a documented flash procedure for example. Use hotkey 'b' in GRUB’s Boot Menu to cycle through the images.

Add Descriptor and GbE File

See How To Modify The Intel Flash Descriptor for reference.

Now add the previously generated descriptor+gbe to your ROM image, adapt paths as needed:

$ dd if=ich9fdgbe_8m.bin of=coreboot.rom bs=1 count=12k conv=notrunc
Note
This T400 still has its IME architecture on board and it is unknown to the public which basic features might be hardwired. It would be safer not to install the GbE binary blob using the “...fdnogbe...” binaries. However, this doesn't seem to work with this How-to. The toolchain scripts offer to blank region GbE instead.

Tweak Parameters in cmos.default

Tweak parameter gfx_uma_size and wwan in the ROM’s cmos.default file:

$ build/util/nvramtool/nvramtool -C build/coreboot.rom -w gfx_uma_size=256M
$ build/util/nvramtool/nvramtool -C build/coreboot.rom -w wwan=Disable
$ build/util/nvramtool/nvramtool -C build/coreboot.rom -w bluetooth=Disable

Inquire parameter’s possible values with option -e, i.e.:

$ build/util/nvramtool/nvramtool -C build/coreboot.rom -e gfx_uma_size

Our “standard” CMOS setup now looks like this:

$ build/util/nvramtool/nvramtool -C build/coreboot.rom -a
boot_option = Fallback
reboot_counter = 0x0
debug_level = Spew
sata_mode = AHCI
power_on_after_fail = Disable
first_battery = Primary
bluetooth = Disable
wwan = Disable
wlan = Enable
trackpoint = Enable
volume = 0x3
fn_ctrl_swap = Disable
sticky_fn = Disable
power_management_beeps = Enable
low_battery_beep = Enable
uwb = Disable
boot_devices =
boot_default = 0x0
gfx_uma_size = 256M
Note
You will be able to modify these settings with the NVRAMCUI Payload upon boot time.

Done!

Your ROM should now be ready to go!

Don't forget to reset the checksum of the NVRAM Option Table to zero by unplugging the small coin battery for some seconds.

Main Page | Related Pages | List of Files